Monday 15 February 2010

Me and Uke, Uke and Me

Well , I feel slightly more cheery than I did last week as it has become evident that I do indeed have some readers! AND they comment! sometimes they share a little too much but as long as it's not nasty I can deal with it. (see Daniel Kitson post if you are confused)

It has been an enlightening week to say the least. I have learnt that,

a. Men of 22 do not like being spurned and have the capacity to then get in a total grump.

b. When drunk I am able to sing in front of 250 people.

and

c. Cosmic ordering doesn't work on MacBook Pros.

Actually I'm feeling pretty ropey today, full of cold and overpriced Crouch End soup.

The other day whilst at Bush Hall I found myself picking up a ukulele and decided that I would try and learn to play properly. I have now learnt 3 chords (had to stop as policeman neighbour came upstairs to complain...oops) Not sure yet what I will do with my talent but perhaps I will sing something too. Which brings me to another highlight of the week; On Thursday night I went to Karaoke Circus at Bethnal Green Working Men's Club run by the lovely Martin White and Danielle Ward (had only been here once before for a John Waters Theme night and loved it) I had been aware of KC from working at the Albany where I believe it originated from Robin Ince's Book Club, but had never attended one.

What a great night! Andrew Collins (always entertaining and gentlemanly) was brilliant pogoing to the Ting Tings, so too was Robin Ince whose love was torn apart by a Smithsian interlude. Forgot that I had signed up to sing until my name was called (actually thats a complete lie, I was cacking it and drinking red wine to combat my fear, although there was no guarantee of being chosen) However, when I got up there the crowd was so lovely and supportive that my fear dissipated and I ended up drunkenly swaying along to Dream a Little Dream. It can't have sounded too bad to the mysterious Baron and the very handsome and hirsute Daniel Maier as they made me the winner.

So my first foray back into the world of live entertainment has occurred a mere 5 and a half years since my one and only Edinburgh outing with Alexs MacQueen and Kirk.


http://www.itsalrightforsome.com/page.php?pageID=acts&acts_id=22



Who knows what will happen next. Perhaps I will become Georgina Formby.

TURN-ONS What's going on the Thong Stereo

1. Black Cab - Jens Lekman (my brother introduced me to him and I cannot stop playing it)

2. Listen To The Band- The Monkees (celebrating Mickey Dolenz's arrival in the West End)

3. The Trapeze Swinger- Iron and Wine

4. First Train Home- Imogen Heap

5. Central Reservation- Beth Orton

Later on dudes.

2 comments:

  1. Could you describe Crouch End soup? Does it reflect Crouch End in any way? You know, peaks and troughs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You thoroughly deserved to win on Thursday and your closing of the show with Hey Jude was a perfect end to the evening.

    ReplyDelete