Tuesday 5 January 2010

A New Hope

Whilst wandering through the West End last night handing out CVs (I've decided to resume my dressing career in a bid to buy me more time for my artistic endeavours)I realised how long it has been since I'd spent any time there. My last job was based in Farringdon and so I didn't head to W1 very often.
I am surprised at how much has changed in just a few months. A large chunk of it seems to be decimated! I barely recognised Tottenham Court Road/Charing Cross area.
Having spent most of last month in the warmth of Sydney and it's suburbs it was a real shock to my system to spend a long period outdoors while the British winter is in full throttle and not for nothing did I find myself taking sanctuary in various coffee establishments (and, right at the end...MacDonald's, dreadful I know but soooo good)
In the middle of Brewer St I came across "Vegan Routes" a novel new Vegan cafe in a Routemaster bus! that sight alone made me fall in love with London all over again. Even when things seem rubbish and everything is uncertain I can take comfort that I live in what is quite possibly the most exciting city in the world. Now I didn't get all that from the Routemaster but it made me think as I wandered through Soho that rarely have I been in such an eclectic, multi cultural, vibrant and stimulating city and I've travelled a bit.

This morning I have been listening to my new Congo to Cuba cd which arrived in the post yesterday- not everyone's taste I appreciate, and actually not usually mine but I heard it playing in a shop in Coogee and it's heat just won me (not quite the same in my little Crouch End flat but you get the idea)

Anyways, I'm off to see La Clique at the Roundhouse tonight. A couple of my friends from New York are in it. Check them out here,

http://www.wauwausisters.com/

I worked on their show at the Pleasance in Edinburgh 2005. Happy Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment